Friday, December 01, 2006

How was school today?

A few quick notes before I'm off to bed in the freezing bedroom. (New energy efficient heating procedures = flannel jammies and frozen breath) We're going to Salina tomorrow for a farmer meeting. Anna and I will be girls about town, shopping and lunching and having fun together. I really like hanging out with her. I didn't expect that out of mama-hood. I didn't know she'd be my friend.

And then we get to see Daniel and Sarah and baby Phinn, who I am growing more and more attached to. And then Susan has all day Saturday!! Lots of food and TV will ensue.

Today at school several nice things happened.
1. In 1st grade, I called on David, but David wasn't there today. The kids said "David no está" That's natural, impromptu language use!!!!

2. In 3rd, 4th, and Kindergarten, they were so excited about the lesson I had to try to calm them down. Not "naughty noise", just genuine enthusiasm for learning!

3. In 1st and 2nd grade, the kids read books they wrote themselves. In Spanish.

4. I think I found a curriculum I want to use and the district offered to pay for it, so I don't have to worry about taking money from the school. No more making EVERYTHING up myself!

5. When talking to my principal, she mentioned that one of the parents who was very anti-Spanish when we started went to the Superintendent this week to urge him to continue and expand the program because she was so happy with it.

Yay for Elementary Foreign Language!

3 comments:

mllr said...

I am so jealous that my kids didn't get to have you as a teacher

linda jean said...

What a terrific day!

betsyann said...

I think that mllr's kids would have been very fun to have in class.