Monday, January 13, 2014

Less

You've probably heard the thing on the internet where you pick a word for your year.  I thought it was an interesting way to tap in to one concept for the year. On New Years Eve MJL and Anna and I filled out these papers (after a great game of Ticket to Ride!  So fun that she's old enough to play that with us now).

Anyway, my one word came to me quickly.

Less.

I think it works for me on lots of levels.  I've been busy sorting and getting rid of things and trying to make room to get to work on the basement.  I've been trying to sort out and get rid of things that take my time away from the things that really matter, and most of what swirls around in my head can be solved with less too.  Less worry, less thought of myself, less judgement.  

It's working marvelously so far.  I found myself feeling a little wanty about these beautiful Christmas plates which of course were on super sale all over the place after Christmas but I remembered "Less" and happily closed the browser window.

And when I worry about planning things and doing more and fitting in another thing I remember "Less" and take a deep breath.

As I sort through things I ask "Do I love it, do I use it, and does my home NEED it?" and I end up with less in the cupboard and less in the closet and more on its way to Salvation Army.

And sometimes, when sitting in front of the fire looking at Pinterest, I wonder if I should get up and work and I think "Less" and I choose less worry about wasting time, and enjoy being toasty and looking at pretty things.

Here's a lovely New Year's blessing.  Never too late, I think.

May God, the source and origin of all blessing, 
grant you grace,
pour out his blessing in abundance,
and keep you safe from harm throughout the year.  Amen.

May he give you integrity of faith,
endurance in hope,
and perseverance in charity
with holy patience to the end.  Amen.

May he order your days and your deeds in his peace,
grant your prayers in this and in every place,
and lead you happily to eternal life.  Amen.

And may the blessing of almighty God,
the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit,
come down on you and remain with you for ever.  Amen. 

-Roman Missal, Solemn Blessings, “The Beginning of the Year”-

3 comments:

In the Mix said...

:-D

Melanie said...

The beautiful thing about 'less' is that it opens up room for 'more' of all the good stuff. :)

We need to purge stuff here, badly!

Melanie said...

Straightening up book baskets today, I realized we have the theme book for your word, 'less'! (It was free from a PAT event and we hadn't read it yet. I know, we have too many books!)

Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Happy-Malachy-Doyle/dp/0802734782/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389721156&sr=8-1&keywords=Get+Happy+doyle