Friday, February 17, 2012

Narnia numbering


Publication orderChronological order
The Lion, the Witch and the WardrobeThe Magician's Nephew
Prince CaspianThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Voyage of the Dawn TreaderThe Horse and His Boy
The Silver ChairPrince Caspian
The Horse and His BoyThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Magician's NephewThe Silver Chair
The Last BattleThe Last Battle



MJL and I prefer the publication order.  The new books are all printed in the chronological order.  Allegedly C.S. Lewis supported the chronological order, but he never asked anyone to change the way the books were being sold.

I think they're more fun to read in the publication order, because you find out different things at different times and I remember that being really fun and engaging for my imagination.

What do you lot think?

4 comments:

linda jean said...

Since I read these as an adult, it is occurring to me that I read them in chronological order except that I read Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe first. Honestly, if I had read Prince Caspian second, I may have struggled to finish reading them. But I'm easily discouraged :)

Melanie said...

I really can't remember what order I read them in when I was younger--I'm sure LWW was first, but other than that, I don't know. After I got married, I read them all again, probably in chronological order.

I've probably already spoiled it for my kids, because we've watched the movies before reading the books. :) But when we or they read them--I will definitely refer to this order!

Roach Momma said...

As a kid I only read LWW. As an adult I'm pretty sure I read them in publication order. I agree, I like being able to put the pieces together and prefer any storyline that jumps around time-wise :)

The Tidwells said...

Original publication order for me! I just can't think of the series without LWW being first. Maybe more sequential minds like chronological, but I like the element of discovery, the "flashback" feel of reading them the other way.