Thursday, January 24, 2013

Biografiesta

Wanna hear about my new job?

I decided to make the big crazy goal of reading all of the books in the library.  I have a 5 year plan.  The kids  love it/think it is crazy.  This semester I'm reading all of the biographies.  547.  If I read 6 per day I can do it.     I made a poster and I'm keeping track of my progress there, and online with our school library software.  The kids can see what I'm reading on the program, and one boy came in today to check out something I read yesterday.  He was excited "You read this one!  Is it good?"  I did really like it, and he checked it out.
Front Cover  A Pocketful of Goobers

Reading biographies every day has proven to be very inspiring.  People do amazing things!  I've challenged the kids to read 20 this semester, and I have grand daydreams about the wonderful things they'll achieve once they've read some biographies and realized what they are capable of.

I also recommended my very favorite book of all time to a 6th grade girl last week.  I was nervous.  I didn't know if kids would still love Anne of Green Gables.

She came in yesterday, holding the book above her head.  "This is a GREAT book!"  Her eyes got big when I told her there were 8 books about Anne.

I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's OK.

5 comments:

Susan said...

It sounds like you're doing an amazing job! Just make sure you tell that Anne lover about the Emily books too. :)

Melanie said...

Awesome! I think passing on a love of books and reading is the most important thing a librarian can do. :)

In the Mix said...

:-)
I would have loved having you as my elementary school librarian.

dbilberry said...

You sound like such a fun librarian!

Anonymous said...

this post is probably one of the best posts ever from a teacher - thank you for all you are doing for the students - when you are excited, they are excited - you reading and then telling them about books is how it all starts - thank you so much for all you are doing - it will be wonderful for you to watch these little ones grow into productive big ones(and you will have had a lot to do with this) - again, thank you!