Saturday, June 30, 2007

A poem

Earlier this year I wrote a poem and I liked it. Having done that, I've been waiting around for my brain to happen upon another line that I liked so that I could write another. I don't love this one quite as much, but still, writing poetry is a new fun thing that I didn't think that I could do. I *think* I welcome comments/criticism. Many thanks to Linda for inspiration--now I ought to get to work on her ghazal.

The good year

Wheat falls out of the lint trap during Harvest.
I smile.
It snowed and iced and snowed too late, and you were worried. (Farmers are always worried).
But this year everything worked.
The heads are tall and full and prices are high (!)

Before Harvest, we couched our hope in allusions.
"Don't put glass windows on the house".
Waiting for hail or grasshoppers.

Now you're cutting.
When I see you-moments when I bring lunches and suppers to the field-you're happy.
This is our good year.

One in ten, or maybe one in fifty.
I pray we harvest enough hope to sustain us;
enough that every year I can smile
When wheat falls out of the lint trap during Harvest.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I love poetry. Your poem makes me want to write another, myself.

betsyann said...

Thanks Jenny!

Oh do write one! I'd love to read it. I imagine that English majors have a much easier time, and don't just have to wait for a line to strike them.

linda jean said...

betsy,
i like the honesty. there is something transparent about it. (not sure if that's the poem or because i know you).

nattyman said...

I like it! I like to think of you guys being happy and having a good year.

Most of the time when I try to write things, I come back to them later and think, "that is retarded". If not, then I know it is a keeper (which I am not sure if that has ever happened). Ever since I lost that amazing baseball poem I wrote in 7th grade it has all been down hill. Matt can attest to that too.

Anonymous said...

I like it Bets. And don't worry- I don't write poetry until a line strikes me either. Maybe that makes me a bad english major?

betsyann said...

Linda-thank you for the thoughtful comment, I will have to think on that.

Heath-Thanks. I'm sure the baseball poem was good. Maybe it was lost to save you from a lifetime as a poet. I think they're usually tortured souls.

Sus-you make me giggle. Thanks.

Trinket said...

Nattyman, I have the book with the "amazing baseball poem" in it, if you'd like to have it!

nattyman said...

Trinket, no I have that too. That was the cheap imitation of the original amazing baseball poem. The only witness to the real thing was Matt. It was lost before I could hand it in. Thanks though.