Monday, June 22, 2009

Needle Felting

I've been wanting to try needle felting for a year or so, ever since I first heard about it. (Here is a gallery of some things that the pros make).

It's hard to explain. Basically, you take a bit of roving wool, which is wool not spun into yarn, but raw, though cleaned and dyed, and you poke it over and over with a barbed needle, which mats the fibers and felts the material.



You can sculpt things with it.



I found a kit on clearance at Hobby Lobby, complete with a couple of needles and some bits of wool. The project was to put this ugly design on a felted purse, but I didn't want to do that, so I took a little bit and tried to make a heart, a pretty simple design to start with.



Then, being successful with the heart, I made another.



And then,



Earrings!



This is very fun.

7 comments:

In the Mix said...

I love your craftiness!

betsyann said...

¡Gracias!

Susan said...

Those are pretty great. Is that how my christmas bracelet was made?

betsyann said...

Nope, that was wet felting, more like what we did with the rocks.

But probably combined with knitting or crochet too.

Abby said...

Oh my gosh, those are AWESOME!

Rachel H. said...

Isn't needle felting addictive?! And a good way to get out those frustrations! LOL

Melanie said...

I don't really get it--I'd have to see needle felting in action, I guess. :) Your earrings are cute, though! And I looked on the gallery of pros a bit--amazing!