Monday, May 25, 2009

Kite Dress

Last weekend, in preparation for Anna's Kite Birthday Party, I decided to try and make her a Kite Dress.

I thought of this much sooner than 4 days before the party, but didn't find any kite fabric. Then, just 5 days before the party, I spotted some.

Here's a snippet of what it looks like.

And here's the pattern I used.

I'm not very good at sewing with patterns. I have very little experience, and it stresses me out and frustrates me.

I cut it out and put it together, and then tried it on Anna and the arm holes were huge and the neck was choking her and I over-reacted and cut the bodice off.

That was not a good choice.

I tried just stitching the skirt to a t-shirt but that did not look good. I was surprised. Are you? Probably not.

Then Matthew's Mom came over and helped me redraw the pattern and recut and sew the bodice. She also showed me how to use bias tape, which I had never used before.

I got it done in time for the party and she was as cute as could be, but I think it will be a while before I attempt to follow another pattern.

She wasn't interested in posing for me, but here's a sweet one of her with her cousin Jairus just before the party.

4 comments:

mllr said...

It turned out perfectly!! I love love the material.

The Gray Roach said...

It's lovely!

malh said...

how cool to have a kite dress and a kite birthday party.
It is beautiful.

betsyann said...

Thanks. Now that it's all done and hanging in the closet, it def. seems worth it.